|Type||Chinese New Year, Humanoid|
|Price||N/A (see "How To Obtain")|
|Characteristics||Chinese New Year decorations appear when playing as Cai Shen.|
The Crossy Road mascot Cai Shen resembles that of the Chinese God of wealth and prosperity, Caishen (財神) Cai Shen's name is often invoked during the Chinese New Year celebrations, hence the addition of this character in time for the Chinese New Year update. The character itself resembles a small humanoid with a large beard and a red/gold gown, donning an intricate royal-looking hat.
When holding down on the screen as if to prepare a jump, Cai Shen will begin to spin in a clockwise rotation for a period of time. The character itself plays on the Chinese New Year map, occasionally yelling incomprehensible sounds and "恭喜發財 (gōngxǐ fācái)", the English translation for which being "I wish you good fortune." If he nearly gets crushed by a truck or car, he will yell “过分" which means "(You're) too much!" in Chinese.
How To Obtain Edit
Using either the Fortune Chicken, The Three Deities, Fire Monkey, Xi, New Year's Doll, or the Chinese Monster the player must collect 20 red envelopes which can be found littered throughout the lanes. Unlike the pink flowers found while playing as Forget-Me-Not, these can be collected throughout multiple rounds of playing. After achieving the required number of envelopes, the character will unlock after death.
This video shows how to unlock Cai Shen:
- Red envelopes are gifted in Chinese and other Asian societies as a monetary gift during holidays and special occasions. It is likely that this is why Cai Shen, the god of wealth, is unlocked after achieving a certain number of these.
- The Fortune Chicken is also most probably named so because of its 'good fortune' or ability to pick up these envelopes.
- Cai Shen is the fifteenth character to resemble some type of humanoid.
- The random phrase Cai Shen periodically shouts during the run roughly translates to "Congratulations on being rich" in Chinese
- Cai Shen is the only Humanoid mascot to have eyes.
- The envelopes needed to unlock him seem to never appear on roads or rivers.
- Cai Shen is one of the three mascots from Crossy Road that also appear in Shooty Skies, The other two being the Chicken and Hipster Whale
- The symbol on the red envelopes needed to unlock Cai Shen is the symbol for the Chinese currency, the yuan.